Friday, January 8, 2010

New Mexico is Full of High Peaks


New Mexico is full of high peaks, but the one pictured is Wheeler Peak. It is the highest point in New Mexico at 13,161 feet above sea level. Imagine if Wheeler Peak were next to sea level you would look up over two and half miles to see it. Looking up like that hurts my neck, It amazes me when I look out my kitchen window I can see 80 miles to Mount Taylor near Grants, New Mexico. Out the bedroom window I see part of the Sangre De Christo's outside of Santa Fe 40 some miles. The Sandias are to the south that view is up close and personal. I love the name Sandia meaning watermelon which most evenings as the sun is getting ready to set, the mountain is the color and similarity of watermelon, you see a pink mountain and the trees are the seeds. My husband, Randall, spent our first summer mostly staring at the Sandias at different times in the day just watching the colorful changes. From my living room I see clear to the Jemez, North and a bit West for another 30 miles, this view is very different with mesa's in front of the mountains. Funny, but I am in Placitas Trails close to I-25 and not at a high elevation where the views grow way beyond the distances I see.

Having spent many years on the Southeast coast where you could only see about one mile I love the freedom I feel of being able to see such great distances. I feel like I can breath really well. And the ever changing colors are awe inspiring for the creative soul.
~Jennise Phillips, Associate Broker