Wednesday, January 27, 2010

My Sunroom



This is my sunroom. That big white thing is a banco. A real one made with adobes. What for? I like it for the contours that provide relaxing support for my supine body when I read or just relax there and watch the clouds rolls over the Sandia Mountains. My husband (Jim, the green builder) likes it for the thermal mass it contains. Either way when the sun comes into the room and shines on the banco I get the very best cat naps ever. Jim – likes it because the sunrays are absorbed by the adobe blocks the banco is made from. After the sun sets and the inside of the house is no longer getting direct warmth from the solar room we close the doors and the magic begins. Jim loves to point this out to me each and every time the mass of the banco and the adobe walls surrounding it begin to give their warmth into the house. It’s all part of his plan for the passive solar home he (he likes to say “we”) built here in Placitas.
Gail McGough Maduena, Associate Broker, GRI